Sunday, 14 May 2017

Painting video tests

Just a quick post here. I've done a couple of test videos to see if my camera is suitable for painting videos. I always thought the standard lens I had wasn't capable of getting close enough to really show what I was doing but it seems it might be alright after all. I was planning to use a different lens to get in closer but it gave a very tight shot and was terribly unforgiving if I moved my hands (difficult to not do when painting).

These aren't tutorials, I just wanted to see if my set up worked. No audio on the first video as I was listening to music at the time (Voivod's remastered Killing Technology album for those interested).


I repositioned the camera a bit for the second video and in the first couple of minutes I mention a few points.


I think the hardest thing is getting everything in focus. My lenses don't have true auto focus so I'm still figuring out the best settings to use. Whilst not perfect I hope these are going some way towards showing how I paint. Any feedback would be appreciated before I start trying to do proper tutorials.

6 comments:

  1. Seems to be a smudge out of focus... or it could be my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I need to get the right F-stop and point of focus keyed in. Tricky maintaining focus without a true auto focus lens. I'll see if there's anything in the settings that might help as well.

      Delete
  2. Apart from my cheeky comment on Youtube Stone, I'd be really happy to see how you paint. Your stuff is really at the pinnacle of where I'd like to be myself.

    Oh, and can we have more foot tutorials too? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tweaking my camera a little to try and improve the image so once I'm happier with it I'll definitely do proper tutorials. I hate painting feet though, well, bare feet anyway. No weird phobia bullshit, just hate having to paint that ankle to foot area. It's just annoying. ;)

      Delete
  3. Focus looks good to me. Maybe try putting down a single color sheet over your space. The background is awesome, but noisey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a quick third video and got even better focus so I think that's sorted now. I had thought about putting down a clean work surface. Might have to try a few things out.

      Delete