Sunday 19 March 2017

Ultramarine - RTB01 Beaky Marine

Last year I was on one of my periodic Space Hulk fads. These usually go nowhere but I'd always been keen on the idea of using regular marines in the game after seeing the rules for powered armour in White Dwarf 120. I think I played a couple of games using them back in the day with my plastic marines.

Anyway, I still have most of my original plastic beakies, albeit stripped and mostly in bits, and not having any real idea what to do with them (apart from a a few specially earmarked squads) I realised I had enough to use in Space Hulk. Now most of my plans go nowhere but I did end up fixing up a squad of models before stalling at the question of colour schemes.

Various ideas came to mind but I ended up deciding I wanted to revisit a colour scheme I'd used on a few marines back in the 90's. It must have been around '97 that I painted up some Ultramarines, two or three terminators and a couple of plastic beakies. All stripped years ago but I remembered the blue was nicely muted and would fit well with my current penchant for toned down colours. I tried a few things out on a spare model to get the colours down but wasn't happy and that was that. Models went back in the box and I moved onto something else.

A few weeks back I had one of those eureka moments right out of nowhere, so tried some slightly different colours and ended up with exactly what I wanted for my Ultramarines! Sometimes it pays to not think too hard about things I guess.






A base coat of VMC Luftwaffe Uniform WWII highlighted up with VGC Ultramarine Blue and then some VGC Cold Grey and finally VMC Silvergrey for the edge lining. I used VGC Heavy Charcoal to dark line between the armour plates and put a thin glaze of GW Nuln Oil over it all when done. I added a little rust on the seams of the lower legs and around the studs on the shoulder pad (to try and disguise how badly sculpted they are).

The shoulder insignia is an over painted decal. These are old decals and I realised they've become brittle with age. A bit of decal film helped a little but they still proved tricky to use, not helped by trying to apply them to such a convex surface. I had to use my old techniques from when I painted my Imperial Fists marines which involved cutting into the decal to allow it to conform to the surface. Then it took a few cotes of decal softener (Micro Scale Micro Sol) to even out all the creases. The arrows are part of an assault decal that I cut up and added. With all the cutting, the distortion of the surface and the crumbly nature of old decals it didn't look great but it was just a guide so I could paint over it. A bit of hassle perhaps but easier than having several attempts and freehand that I'll never be able to reproduce on the rest of the unit (if I do them).

I made my own base top too. Just plastic sheet and a bit of inspiration from the original Space Hulk tile set. I made a few more just in case I do get more models painted. I did wonder about looking into getting some moulded and cast up to save on time but that's another thing entirely.  Didn't go for an exact colour match as I wanted something a bit more muted, but it's similar enough.





18 comments:

  1. He definitely looks like he's peering down a corridor looking for genestealers! Amazing work, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he's on his own then he may well have a primed grenade ready to commit terminus!

      Delete
  2. Well, he's just fucking amazing Stone! I'll be using him as a painting guide next time I attack some of my own.

    That's a great idea, using the transfer as a template to paint over. Seeing as I can't freehand for shit, I'll be keep this technique in mind.

    Fantastic stuff Stone! Eavy Metal...eat your heart out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Decals always look best with a little extra work to give them that painted on look. Sometimes I print my own from images off the internet. Quality doesn't matter too much in that case, just a simple black image to give an outline is all you need.

      Delete
  3. A real blast from the past. Makes me wish I still had mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised I still have mine to be honest. Not sure how they survived the various culls and general teenage destruction.

      Delete
  4. Nice touch on using bits of orange to make the whole piece 'pop'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about doing a lot of weathering and really griming him up but decided to keep it more minimal in the end.

      Delete
  5. Great work.... I've always been tempted by Ultramarines, but for some reason I just can't seem to bring myself to paint a blue army!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's impressive, most people who've painted one know just how tricky making them look this good is.
    Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. A lot of very plain surfaces on these models. It can certainly make highlighting tricky.

      Delete
  7. So. Absolutely. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got some beakies from '86 still to build, and was wondering what they might look like using more modern techniques and such -- and whether or not it'd be worth it.

    You've proven it can be TOTALLY worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :)

      I really want to get some more done but Vallejo have totally fucked up the grey I was using to highlight the blue. For some bizarre reason more recent batches of Cold Grey get darker the more you mix the paint on the palette and when painting a model! Need a good sub.

      Delete